Higher Education Research
Abacus consists of three associates, each with a Ph.D. from a leading university in public opinion research: the University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, and the University of North Carolina. We bring an added advantage to our higher education work in that all three associates are former academics. Our backgrounds and experience in higher education, as well as our rigorous training in survey research and statistical methodology, enable us to communicate with credibility and authority to the public, policymakers, and the higher education community.
- Our higher education projects include surveys, focus groups, and interviews with faculty, staff, and elected leaders on a wide variety of topics.
- Our work also covers statistical analyses of faculty salary and other institutional data.
- We address a range of topics, including legislative agendas for higher education, expanding the size of a state university system, student evaluations of their college and curriculum, faculty experience with distance education, the impact and application of merit pay, governance in higher education institutions, and faculty priorities.
- We have analyzed the concerns and priorities of almost every subgroup in the higher education community: full-time faculty, part-time/adjunct faculty, students, administrators, academic professionals, education support personnel, union leaders, and the leading legislators on higher education policy in state capitals of all 50 states.
Our research has included broad-based statewide or national higher education studies, as well as specific focus groups and surveys at the following campuses:
- Bryn Mawr College (PA)
- Bowling Green State University (OH)
- California State University System
- California State University at Northridge
- City Colleges of Chicago
- Connecticut State University System
- Florida Gulf Coast University
- Florida Community College and University System
- Florida State University
- Harrisburg Area Community College (PA)
- Hillsborough Community College (FL)
- Illinois State University
- Ohio University
- Riverside Community College (CA)
- Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
- University of Florida
- University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana
- University of Maine System
- University of South Florida